Thursday, December 3, 2009

Finally ... YAY!

Christmas decorations!

As I mentioned earlier my friend Mrs. Nathalie made some super cool owls. I fell head over heals in love with them, but still I haven't managed to get to the point where I actually reproduced them. Maybe I just have to realise that I am just not funky enough for them.

Instead these one from her "owl post" lingered in the back of my mind.


Don't they look sweet? She has so many great and fun ideas!

With that idea in my mind I made these.




Ahh, sparkly beads. They make me happy, happy, happy!


A little heart in pastel colors, all soft and fluffy. Sigh!


Notice the ribbon. I think it must be one of the coolest ribbons I have ever seen.

Soft, yummy felt. Nothing like it on earth ... should I maybe consider some sort of treatment for this felt/wool addiction I seem to have?

They are super easy to make and you can easily do it while watching a good documentary, hanging out with your great friends at a craft night or watching your child demolish the house. Trust me, I've done all three!

I used a cup for the circles and a wooden shape for the heart and the star as a template. Then I cut out two pieces of felt in the desired shape and decorated them with beads, embroidery, or buttons that I sowed on.

I naturally used felt, but I am sure people without a raging felt-obsession could just as easily use other types of fabric.

The ribbon on the heart. I first glued it onto the fabric using textile glue, though you could probably use normal glue. Afterwards I then made some stitches on each side of it, to really secure it and because I like the look of it.

When both sides were decorated (or just the one side if you're feeling lazy) I sowed the sides and a piece of ribbon together with some "fancy stitching". When I had sown 3/4 of it, I put a little bit of stuffing inside them and then stitched the rest.

We were planning on giving some of the decorations away, but to be honest I am not sure I can do it. I quite like all of them!

2 comments:

NancyG said...

I absolutely LOVE these. Too bad I can't sew. Maybe I could make some cookie ornaments? ;) Not sure they would be as cute though.

Lene said...

Thank you so much for you comment : )
And I am pretty sure cookie ornaments would look fantastic on the tree. Maybe make some with "sprinkles" on so there is something glittery ... Yes, I do like glitter, thank you for asking!