Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It is done!

There is excitement in our house. I am excited. The little one is excited. And I am excited that he is excited. Oh, all the excitement.


I have finished the mobile for the little ones room.

He likes it.


The mobile consists of 8 nylon strings, each with 3 felted wool balls. I just tied a little knot under each ball.


The balls have been needlefelted - not a big surprise, huh? It takes a while to do each ball since I wanted them quite firm, so I am sure I must have stabbed each ball thousands of times. A good way to get off some agresssions.

Just be careful with your fingers. Those needles are incredibly sharp, and they are barbed. I have had more than one of them pierce my thumb. Not a pleasent experience.


The mobile is gathered in a square cardboard frame. I cut out two frames approximately 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) with a 12 x 12 cm (5 x 5 inch) square cut out in the middle. I then glued the two frames together to make them more stabile. Afterwards I painted them light green - pretty much my favorite color.

If I could get my will I would probably paint everything I own that color. It's so delicious!


Assembling the mobile took me and my crafting night team a little while, and I doubt that I could have done it on my own. But the rest of the mobile is pretty simple to make. If you don't feel like needlefelting and spending the time that takes, then wetfelting the balls would be an option.

Now I just need to hang it up over the little ones bed. Even though I think I have to hang it quite high, otherwise I doubt it will last very long.


I am so excited about all the projects I am getting done. And I love being able to cross out things on my project list.

I was able to cross out another item, which I will share later. It combines my two favorite things; play food and felt.

No comments: