Saturday, October 10, 2009

Harvest time

Fall is really here.

The little one and me went out looking for chestnut the other day, the sun was shining from a blue sky, the air was crisp and fresh, and the little one enjoyed all the leaves that had fallen from the trees. It was one of those perfect days.

Naturally, for every 2 chestnut the little one put into the bag, he threw 10 into the bushes. I didn't really care that much. I just enjoyed the day, being outside and a happy little man by my side.

And so in theme with the whole fall-harvest theme I made some felted carrots - erhm, yes, they were also on my to-do-project list, but none the less they fit with the season.



The carrots are needlefelted using orange wool. The top of the carrots are made using two different shades of green felt. When I was done felting the carrots, I cut a hole as deep as possible in the top of the carrot. I then cut out leaves in two different shades of green and attached them with glue. It was quite simple.

Because the carrots are pretty big and I wanted them firm, it took me a while to felt them. But it was an easy project that beginners can easily do, and I really like the result.




When I looked through my own selection of felt, I found that I had one green color, and it was very, very bright. It looked like green on drugs! I love things looking fresh and happy, but the thought of that bright orange combined with an even more bright green made my head hurt. So I called my sister, miss Anne, who is the owner of all things crafty. She willingly agreed to let me have some of her green felt because she is just a nice person.

This is my sisters selection of green felt.



Am I the only one who is amazed? I never even knew you could get felt in that many shades of green.

Now I have been on and on about needlefelting I think it is only fair I do a tutorial on it soon. Are you excited? I know, you want to know more about needlefelting ... if only I had a dollar for each time I had written needlefelting in this blog. Needlefelting, needlefelting, needlefelting! See, already I would be 3 dollars richer.

No comments: