Sunday, September 27, 2009

Racing in style



Recently I've been reorganizing my crafting room. And as I've opened drawers, boxes and bags I have long forgotten all about I have come to realise something. That is this simple truth: I start a lot of project - and I don't finish that many!

The result is that I buy a lot of material which is then never used. And all those materials add up, and not in a good way.

So I made a list of this last years planned-but-not-completed-projects and I am now making my way through that list. Because I also found a bag of clothes that had to be repaired I made a list of those and I now try to fix one thing a day.

So far both my lists have been a great succes. I love lists by the way, love, love, love them! They make me happy. And when I can cross something off a list, it makes me really happy.

My husband have had items returned to him that he had forgotten all about, now with a button sown in, toys have been fixed and the little one is very content with that outcome and I even repaired a babyblanket so it's ready for the tiny one to come.

And my projects are also doing quite well.

The little one got this fabulous scooter a few months ago, and I felt it needed a little something.



It needed a little basket in front, that could hold some of his toys as he ventured out into the world.

And so I got me a big piece of really thick orange felt to make him a basket. The color in itself is cool, and I think it works well with the color of the scooter.







The basket consists of three main pieces; a bottom, back and a side/front. I cut out all the pieces with a little craft knife. The bottom part is rounded and here I used my fabric scissors. I also cut out two straps so it could be attached to the scooter with velcro. I made the pattern myself, first in paper though. It was super simple and didn't take me that long and making the pattern myself also enabled me to fit the proportions of the scooter.

I decided to just glue the basket together with a hot glue gun, and then I am going to reinforce some of the weaker points with thread. The straps and the velcro was also glued on. The velcro didn't stick to the felt, so I had to sow that onto the the basket using ordinary thread. Because the felt is so thick it took me quite a while, and I am glad I didn't set out to sow the entire thing.

I am quite excited about the little basket, I think it looks really modern and fun. It is nice to create something from scratch. And I am very excited about crossing a project off my list.

I've already started working on my next project which is a mobile with felted balls that goes over the little ones bed. And then I only have 8 more projects to go.

Hope everyone out there are busy creating something fun! Happy creating.

No comments: