Thursday, January 7, 2010

A little bag



I have a long list of amazing new projects for the new year. I am throughly excited!
And this year I am definitly starting with the christmas gifts earlier, so everyone - or more or less - will get homemade gifts for christmas!

But for now I am not doing a whole lot in the creative department. Today has actually been a busy day of surfing the internet, napping, eating and reading a book while my better half and the little one went to the library. Yeah, being pregnant is hard work!

Instead of focusing on my recent lack of creative accomplishments, let me show you something I did a while ago.


The little one got this t-shirt from his German grandfather. And I loved it. I would put it on him when ever I could. It was soft and looked so comfortable.


And the elefant. I loved the little elefant! So cute and with the little ears poking out. See, that is true love!

But as you can tell by the pictures, this inexperienced mom did not know that bananas makes the craziest stains known to mankind. So the amazing t-shirt got irremovable stains on it. I was not ready to throw it out. A love like that doesn't just die easily!

So I decided to reuse it in some way. I was not sure how, so for several months it just laid in a pile and waited for inspiration to come. And fortunately it did one day. The little one needed a little bag, and what better decorations for it than the elefant?

And so I cut out the elefant and made this decoration:


From the back of the t-shirt I cut out a piece of fabric to create a little pocket that I decorated with star-shaped buttons and ribbons. I put the little pocket on the other side of the bag.


Because I felt like it I made the bag reversible, so what you see here is the "inside" with a nice big, brown, pocket divided in two, perfect for storing things like pencils and other necessities for drawing.


I made these three sides, but then it was late and I wanted to go to sleep. So I put it back in my pile of things to do later, and ending up neglecting it for several months. Yeah, I really needed to make a list of unfinished projects and start finishing some of them. And as you know, I did!

I was very excited to finish it, but somehow I never got around to doing a decoration for the last side. But I think there is also plenty to look at, and it serves its purpose as a reminder of a very loved gift from the little ones grandfather.

I love reusing things that are worn out and no longer can be used. Not just to be political correct, but more to save the memories of an item and the joy it gave. I am not as good at is as I would like to, but maybe that should be one of my new years resolutions for 2010?

Have a great day! And for those of you who are wondering - no, no baby yet! 8 days past my due-date but who is counting?

... me ... that's who!

No comments: