Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yesterday ...

Yesterday was a strange day, one of those days of extremes, of weirdness. It even included a gold crown, a chocolate milk shake and a guy on a bike who I didn't drive into.

My alarm went off at 5.25 am. I stumbled out of bed, got myself ready and jumped into the clothes I had put out the night before. It was black outside and I could hear the wind blowing.

At 6 am my driving teacher picked me up and we then drove off into the dark morning.

I was home at 8.20. The house was completely still. Both the men were safe asleep. I got undressed and crawled under my duvet. My better half woke up and I told him that I had passed my driving test - and then the tears started.

The relief, the stress, the worry, the money we have spent on driving classes, the first test I failed, the time I have spent on theory lessons and driving lessons, the weight off my shoulders, and again - the relief. It all came crashing down on me. I felt free.

At 11.20 the three of us had lunch. My better half leaves the table mid-sentence and comes back with a gold crown with the word "Bilist" (cardriver) written on it. I got it for my birthday together with all things a woman with a driving licence needs*. Now I could finally wear it.

In the afternoon I lost track of time. We went out for sandwiches. My better half had a hot cocoa and I had a milkshake while we watched big white snowflakes falling outside the window. The little one figured out how to use a straw. That milkshake must have looked really tasty. We talked for a long time at the cafe. We went grocery shopping and walked back home in the rain. The little one started crying and we rushed home. Soon the little one was in his bed and I was getting ready to meet a friend for some church project.

"How about we do something fancy this weekend? We can make a big celebration for you. Do something special" my better half says. I shake my head. I don't need anything else.

Yesterday I had the perfect day!



* For those of you who wonders what a woman with a driving license needs.
She needs snacks for the trip (roasted, salted almonds), she needs a map of the region (Denmark is so small, so in this case a map of the entire country), she needs to take care of her clutchfoot and her acceleratorfoot (UGG slippers and amazingly yummy footlotion), she needs to know about cars (a book about 501 must drive cars) and she needs to look pretty (an awesome necklace with a rainbow, a dove and a blue glass bead) and naturally she also needs a gold crown with the word "Bilist" on.

I also got a muffin mold, but we are still trying to fit it into the whole car-theme. My better half got a little carried away with the shopping - not that I will ever blame him for that.

I would post pictures of me, my temporary driving license and the gold crown if my camera battery hadn't died on me. Not to worry. I will certainly wear that crown again another day.

No comments: